02 May 2010

No Doubt


The band, that is.

Remember how I was told that I was going to have to try out to be the singer in my company's band? Well, we went to happy hour the other night (I didn't drink - no worries) to celebrate a huge milestone for our company and I sat across from Marc, the lead Program Manager and Mike, the President/CEO (who started the band). As soon as Mike sat down and saw me, he said, "I have HUGE news for you."

A few weeks ago Mike went to a charity event for the Pat Tillman Foundation. There was a fantastic drum set up for auction which came with an hour and a half lesson with the drummer from No Doubt, Adrian Young. Mike bid $2,000 on the set/lesson and won. Mike already plays the drums so he called Adrian Young's personal assistant and set up for Adrian and the lead singer of a different band (who I can't remember) to come down to Palos Verdes and go golfing on Trump's course with him. That should happen in the next week or so. Here's where this gets interesting for ME - according to Mike.

Mike has been working with Adrian Young's PA to set up a concert for our company. (He's awesomely pushy isn't he?) No Doubt is recording right now (for all of you fans out there) and they're going to be going on tour shortly after the album is released. From what the PA says, Adrian Young will probably be totally down with this. If he is, Mike is going to have a show at his house for our company where the company band will be performing with special guest: Adrian Young. What does that mean? I'll be singing with the drummer from No Doubt. (Possibly).

And to think I wasn't going to go to happy hour because I don't drink...

I'm glad I went. Marc, Mike, Mayu, and Kumar asked me why I don't drink and I didn't get crap for it. Marc even went so far as to say he respects me and my decision - and no, he hadn't had a drink yet. The company paid the tab - so I only paid $3 for one coke and the rest were free! Marc asked me how I thought work was going and if I really did like it and we got to talking for almost 2 hours. After a while, we did some reshuffling of seats and I talked with a few other of the "higher-ups" and the founder, Jim. As I was leaving, I went to everyone around the table to say goodbye and congrats and Marc stopped me and took me to Jim to tell him how much the content department has improved since I started. We got about 10 minutes of solid praise from Marc and Jim, both. Then, Kumar told me how much he loved how I handle his accounts and the work I put in to everything.

All in all, it was a good night out.

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. This whole post.
2. Friday in general. It was a great day.
3. Gothpod is driving me insane in the good way and the bad way.
4. The Relief Society lesson today was totally meant for me. Thanks, Megan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is SO nice to be appreciated at work.