09 March 2010

Oscar Night Write Up

So, the Oscars were on on Sunday. I don't know how big of a deal it is outside of California, but here, it's all that is talked about from Valentines Day to St. Patrick's Day. I don't usually pay them much attention until the end of the show, when they announce the big winners like, Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress. But this year, I watched the red carpet (once I got back from church) and the majority of the award show itself.

Here are my thoughts (in case anyone cares):
  • I feel so bad for the guys who won for Best Documentary. Okay, not both guys, just the second guy. Some retard who went walking up with them (and I think bankrolled the film) decided to hold up a sign as the second guy started his speech. Consequently, the second guy was cut off. He wasn't allowed to give his acceptance speech, and I never even saw his face because they cut to the audience. Why ruin it for people?
  • Also, who the heck does the invitation list for this show?? Tina Fey?? Really? And Mariska Hargitay? What the heck were Tim McGraw and Faith Hill doing there?! I know he was in The Blindside, but only for like 2 scenes - he wasn't nominated. At first I was bothered that Molly Ringwald was invited, but then they did a tribute to John Hughes - or whatever his name was - and it made sense.
  • Every time I hear the Up theme song, I want to cry. I don't know why. I loved that movie, and the music is beautiful, but it seriously has me choking up.
  • I was so glad that Sandra Bullock won for Best Actress. I mean, wow. The Blindside has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Congratulations to her. And also, please pick a better dress next year.
  • This year brought change to the Best Director category: a woman, an African American, Terrentino, Reitman and Cameron. Kathryn Bigelow won for The Hurtlocker. It seems so weird that an African American hasn't won, and that, until tonight, a woman hadn't won in 82 years of this ridiculous tradition.
  • 10 movies in the Best Picture category?! Holy geez! That hasn't happened since 1943.
I also want to rant for a minute about the absolutely disastrous dresses this year. Usually there are a handful that are hideous, a few that are truly amazing and the rest are merely mediocre. Not this year. This year, there were a few that were mildly stunning, a handful that were merely mediocre and the rest were absolutely atrocious (ahh, alliteration and assonance.)

My best dressed list:
Elizabeth Banks
Anna Kendrick
Demi Moore
Kristen Stewart
Penelope Cruz

My worst dressed list:
Zoe Saldana
Sarah Jessica Parker
Barbra Streisand
Miley Cyrus
Charlize Theron
Maggie Gylenhaal
Jennifer Lopez
Vera Farmiga

This post is already really long, so I'll do 3 very short things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Enchiladas - momma style.
2. Cute new Sunday clothes.
3. Behood's crazy laugh.

1 comment:

KP said...

you're cute.
i miss you.
the end.
ps. i like REALLY miss you.