30 March 2010

I'm the Lead Singer

Unofficially...

I think there's going to be an audition at the next office drinking party/karaoke bar night, with my luck. They don't give you much notice of stuff we're doing.

I love my job. The people I work with are down to earth, hilarious, good people. But let me give you the story of just how I got roped into the singing thing.

Yesterday, during the latter-part of my lunch break, I was laying in my car with the windows slightly cracked, singing along to my Adele CD (thanks, Lo!), not thinking that people could hear me. (Why is it that when we're in our car, we think people can't see/hear us? I'm no nose-picker or anything, but I certainly do love to sing. Tangent.) ANYWAYS. One of the guys in the office came up to his car and heard me, then gave me a bit of a razz for just laying in my car in the sunshine, singing to myself with my eyes closed. Being the newbie that I am, I assumed that was the end of it.

The President/CEO, Mike, had half of the office meet him at Benihanna today for lunch. I was sitting there looking over the menu when Mike walked in and introduced himself to me (I'd never met him before). I was sitting next to a few of the Executives (including my favorite person in the office, Jared, who I've only met once before today). I knew there was a drum set in my office that had to be moved, and that a few of the folks in the office (Pres/CEO and Jared included) play in a band together. I didn't know they were lacking a key member.

Jared looked at me part way through lunch, and said, "So Lauren, do you play any instruments?" and I explained no, not really. And that's when Jared goes, "But I hear you sing." And Mike heard him. BUSTED!

They asked what I like to sing. I told him I'll sing pretty much everything and his eyes lit up when I told him I really love hard rock. He said that unless I'm absolute crap (he used a different word, but my only reader is Mormon. *waves* HI ALLI!) I'm in the band. Our first show will be at the company picnic in May and again at the company Christmas party.

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. I got my desk and phone and stuff today. I think we'll be working in the new office tomorrow for the first day!
2. My job freaking rocks. We get perks.
3. The cheers that erupted when Marc told everyone at lunch to order alcohol.
4. I didn't get the third degree when I said I don't drink at lunch today.
5. I put myself out there and got ignored. Nothing like a good burn, folks.
6. Halloween is a FREAKING HUGE deal at my office. I've been warned to start planning now. And when I say huge, let me give you a for-instance: Mike (pres/ceo) was Paris Hilton, complete with size 12 stilettos and a bare mid-drift, which was not waxed.
7. Jereme went shopping with me on Saturday. I mean, shopping shopping. Like, he stood around for an hour while I tried on clothes in a few different stores. He's pretty awesome.

3 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

You're in a band! I'm your groupie! Famous friend I have! :)Congrats!

Lauren Conley said...

...Why are you Yoda all of a sudden?

KP said...

alli is not your only reader lol.
i read your blog all the time! love you! and miss you! and so happy work is going great for you!!!