04 February 2010

More Percy Jackson


I've made my way through the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, The Sea of Monsters. It didn't disappoint, I loved it again.

I'm now on the third installment, The Titan's Curse. Wow. Just when I thought I couldn't like the series anymore, Rick Riordan surprised me yet again. He keeps introducing new Gods in each book and in this book he's introduced Artemis, the Goddess of the Hunt, and her twin brother, Apollo, the God of prophecy who is also in charge of raising the Sun. (Artemis is the goddess of the moon - he got the sun...anyways...)

Apollo is my new favorite. He's hilarious. They're twins, but without getting all technical as to why, let me just say, Riordan writes Artemis to appear as a teenie-bopper somewhere between the ages of 12 and 14, and Apollo as somewhere around 17.

In classic mythology he rides a chariot painted like the sun. In Riordan's book, he drives a red convertible Maserati Spyder. Unless, of course, he's transporting 10 Hunters of Artemis, Grover, Percy and someone else I won't name (in case anyone out there is reading the series...) - then he drives a bus. Apollo also loved being in Japan, apparently, because he likes to make up his own Haiku's. For example, this one found on page 47:

"Green grass breaks through snow.
Artemis pleads for my help.
I am so cool."

Of course, the last line isn't 5 syllables so he changes it to, "I am so awesome."

Need I say more?

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. "When My Time Comes" by Dawes. I highly recommend it. Check it out on iTunes, folks. Seriously. Do it now.
2. I got a new lap top for free thanks to American Express reward points. I LOOOOVE it. It's amazing. I'm in heaven. And the only thing that can pull me away from it is Percy. hahaha.
3. I pulled the 2 books I started writing a while ago off of my external hard drive now that I have a new lap top, and re-read all that I have of my newer-book. Yeah, bad idea because now I get woken up or can't fall asleep until I write down what the stupid people in my head are saying. And they're persistent imaginary people.
4. I got a letter from Shauna on Tuesday!
5. I'm no longer listed in the Student Directory on BYU-I's website, so I'm taking that as a sign that I did, in fact, graduate from college despite the complete lack of a diploma I have. I'm thinking it has to come this week sometime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My friend just gave me the first book to read, I am getting excited. But I am in the middle of the Mortal Instruments series. It is pretty good too.