05 October 2009

Book Fest part 1

A while back, I told you all about Sister Hawker's Book Fest that I have to do three times this semester - it was a big project...

Well, today was the first day and that means I'm done with this round and don't have to do this again until November! :o) YAY!

I knew right away that I wanted to re-design my book cover for my visual, because I had no idea what the picture on the cover of my copy was until I finished the book...

So here we go!
Before:


















After:





I used InDesign CS4 to redesign it and it turned out so good that my teacher came to my presentation table, interrupted my presentation with an unpleasant glare, and said, "Where's your visual, Sister Conley?" I explained that she was holding it. HAHAHA. Poor Sister Hawker, she felt bad, but I'm hoping that means I'll get a good grade on at least that portion.

Can I just gush real quick about how much I love InDesign? Seriously - I want to be an editor for a publishing company so I can do this. I love editing (my new slogan is: Lauren Conley - bettering the world one typo at a time), but design is so much fun, too! It took me a little over an hour to put together.

For the other parts of the presentation I turned my reading guide into a tri-fold brochure, which seemed to go over pretty well. And for my actual presentation portion, I created a game of memory with all of the character's names. If the people at my booth found a match, I told them all about that particular character, and answered any questions they had. Sister Hawker gave me a run for my money, but luckily I BS EXTRAORDINARLY well for a Mormon. :o)

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. InDesign. I want it, I want it, I want it! But it's SO expensive! ...maybe one day...
2. Goth Pod. Really - he makes my day every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I wish he was mine. And yes, I know that's coveting and I'm going to hell.
3. My funny quotes note on FB. I laugh every time I re-read it. Even though I already know what's on it.
4. I think I spent a grand total of MAYBE 4 hours preparing for book fest. That's including creating a powerpoint, new book cover, reading guide and planning my presentation. And I feel pretty good about it so far. I got a lot of compliments, at least.
5. I'm the chief designer for my OTHER English class, and that means more InDesign time for me! YAY!
6. My new favorite Christmas song: "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues. Seriously - the Pogues do it best.

2 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

Oh Lauren. I love the title (one typo at a...). Love the design! It looks so good! Hidden talents I never knew about! PS take a pic of my twin! :) I'm thinking about dying my hair brown........

KP said...

i am so happy you got it done and are finished...well, for now! :)
it was good to chat with you lastnight. thanks for listening to me :)
you are truly one of my bestest friends ever :) loves, your lil' KP