20 September 2009

Lois Lowry


The Gods must have been smiling upon BYU-Idaho this semester!

Every semester, we have a someone who has made their career through the English language come and speak to us. Usually, they're unheard of essayists and they suck.

Not this semester! We got Lois Lowry!!! For those of who you who are staring the screen going, "Who??" She wrote The Giver, Gossamer, Gathering Blue, A Summer to Die, The Willoughby's, and quite a few others. She's amazing and The Giver is one of my all time favorites.

So Friday night she spoke in the Hinckley chapel from 7-8:30-ish. She spoke about EVERYTHING! She talked a lot about the inspiration for her books (helpful, to me), how the middle of a book is the hardest to write (encouraging, to me), her family, converting her books into plays, her friends, and pretty much everything you could think about. She read from a few of her books, and her memoir. She's very funny and incredibly touching. This is one amazing woman!

After her talk, she stayed to sign books. Unfortunately, my copy of The Giver is buried under the stairs in California. So I took my journal!

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. This is the second author I've met who has signed something for me. I'm going to keep trying for more!
2. Lois Lowry is amazing.
3. I want to read The Willoughby's. It sounds hilarious!
4. I see Stewart everywhere and he never acknowledges he knows who I am.

1 comment:

FISHER'S CAKES said...

The Giver=one of my favorite books...