06 August 2009

The Sign Said, "No Moshing. No Crowd Surfing. No Stage Diving."

I've done it again! Another Blue October concert under my belt and it feels SO good.

This time it was the Crazy Making Tour 2009 with Longwave (still have no clue who they are), Switchfoot, and Blue October.
Chelsea, Nicole, and I got to the theatre just the teeniest bit late - but who cares 'cause it was just Longwave performing and like I said, we don't know them. At all. I'm not super familiar with Switchfoot. Through their performance I realized I had heard 2 of their songs at least and liked them well enough. But all I wanted was Blue October.


I was NOT disappointed.

They came out rocking hard with a lot of my favorites, including a lot of their older stuff. I think all-in-all they only played 3 songs from their new CD, maybe 4. Seriously, I just looked at my playlist on iTunes with my favorite songs on it that I made a few months back and all of the Blue October songs on that playlist save 2 were played last night. Could I ask for more? ...Probably, but I'll take what I can get.

After they played one of their darker, heavier songs, Justin (the lead singer) straight up walked off the stage. I didn't understand at first cause they'd only played for like half an hour or so. Slowly the rest of the band took off and the stage hands started rearranging. They brought out one stool for each member of the band (Justin, Jeremy, CB, Brian, and Matt), 2 acoustic guitars (one for each CB and Matt), 2 of Brian's violins and one of his mandolins and a small drum set for Jeremy. They had an AMAZING little jam session playing EVERY single one of my favorite slow songs starting with just Justin and Brian (on the piano, this time...I swear that boy - Brian - is liquid talent) on a dark stage playing my all time favorite song. It's an unnamed, hidden track, on the Foiled for the Last Time CD, the last 4 minutes and 21 seconds of the Carmen Rizzo remix of "X Amount of Words." (Did I say I'm a die-hard fan??)

They jammed like that for maybe another half an hour and then decided to rock hard again starting with "Italian Radio" - a great beat and totally fun to sing along to. It was seriously AMAZING. I can't get over how charismatic they all are (even with Brian's stupid new hair-do) and remarkably talented they all are. Justin is a hoot to watch and has a GREAT voice. He can also rock hard on that guitar, I'm not going to lie.

The only thing I would change: I want to hear them play my other all time favorite song, "Sound of Pulling Heaven Down" live. I guess I'll just have to keep seeing them live until it happens. :o)


Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Justin.
2. CB.
3. Brian.
4. Matt.
5. Jeremy.
6. The totally rocking videos I got of some of my favorite songs.
7. The girl that biffed it and then ran away just before the end of the concert.
8. The YSA conference that Bryce and I are going to on Saturday (yes, just Saturday).

No comments: