11 April 2009

I am Fortune's Fool


I don't think Shakespeare had this context in mind when he wrote those words for Romeo, but I found the line fitting.

I got a fortune cookie today. Now, normally, I get very interesting fortunes out of my fortune cookies. I have a theory as to why: I don't eat the cookie. I think the cookie respects this and, therefore, gives me good fortunes. Once, the night before I flew to England for the British Literary Tour, Gramps took me to dinner at a Chinese restaurant and my fortune said (no joke), "You will soon be crossing the great sea." AND I DID!!!

Today, I broke my usual habit and had every intention of eating the cookie before I even opened the package. The cookie must have sensed this because I got this stupid so-called "fortune"

"Yes. Do it with confidence"

That is a direct quote, punctuation included.

Here is why I'm kind of bitter about this: it's not a fortune. The word "fortune" conjures up ideas of foretelling or prophecy (like the one mentioned above). This is remarkably vague advice. It could mean anything. It could mean, "Yes. Get your masters with confidence," or, "Yes. Wear your shirt that says 'a little dirty' on the first day of school," or "Yes. Spend all of your birthday money on books and nevermind that your clothes are like eighteen years out of style and don't fit you very well anymore."

Thank you, Panda Express, thank you.

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. 4 new shirts at $9.99 a piece.
2. Ordering 2 new books with the potential to buy the third very soon.
3. Chelsea calling Nicole's boyfriend "numb nuts" at dinner the other night.
4. A P.K.'s run oh-so-soon.
5. An intriguing idea.

3 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

It's official - we are not on good terms. You are taking on so soon run to P.K.'s and not taking me with you. Boo.

KP said...

i miss u.
a lot.

Lauren MacKenzie Conley said...

I miss you lots too, kp.