04 April 2009

Blue October Concert

Here it is, the post people have been asking for.

My favorite band is Blue October and after much stress, I finally managed to work out a time that Chelsea, Nicole and I could go see them tour their new album, Approaching Normal (in stores now - I highly recommend it).

The concert was on Tuesday, March 31 at 8 at the Depot in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Nicole did everyone's make-up for the show and we made our way downtown after a quick dinner.

The depot is a privately owned club and isn't very big. It was a great venue because that meant that you could see what color Justin Furstenfeld's eyes were. There was mostly standing room on the stage level...there were a few bar tables and chairs around the walls and in front of the bar and then the upper level was covered in the same bar tables and chairs. We got inside and went to claim our spots in front of the stage. We were roughly 3 rows of people back. It was AMAZING!!

The opening act was called "The Ours" and they were actually pretty good for nobodys. I really liked them. I'd like to try to find their album, actually. The lead singer was quite the performer and put on a great show. But my favorite was the bassist. The scarf did it for me.
And then, Blue October came out and I didn't stop screaming until the show ended. Oh. My. Gosh. They're amazing on CD and ten thousand times better live, which is really saying something. Justin's voice is almost hypnotic - which is ironic when you see how much he covers the stage. I got some stellar shots that show off just how much of a rock god Justin is.

His lead guitarist is named CB and I've been addicted to him for as long as I've been listening to them. The man is talented, good looking and he has a lip ring. I'm sold.

They played the whole album, from start to finish and then some classics from their previous albums. It was great being so close to the stage and Justin said that he has never had a better crowd. I'm sure that's what they say to all the crowds but honestly - this was an amazing crowd. I think my favorite part - other than the whole concert thing - was looking around at all of the people. Chelsea, Nicole and I aren't the a-typical Blue October fans - we're not pierced and tattooed to the extreme and we're not goth/emo; but everyone else was except for the 4 people we had around us. There were people there from 21 and up and when I say up, I mean up. The dude a few people over from us had to be at least 60.

Nicole decided to treat me to this concert for my birthday and I'm not afraid to say that this is going to be one tough birthday to top. It was AMAZING. There isn't a better word in existence yet for just how incredibly awesome the show was. Thank you, Nicole!!

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Justin's dance moves.
2. CB's glowing lip ring.
3. Finding creepy pictures on my camera from Chelsea and Nicole while we were at Wendy's.
4. Scream-singing along with my favorite band all night long.
5. The tall guy that was chillin next to Chelsea for a while during the concert.

No comments: