14 November 2008

Brother Babcock's British Literature Class.


I've been ranting and raving about Brother Babcock's British Literature class (neoclassical and romantic period). I've finally decided to do a post dedicated to Brother Matt Babcock: the best English teacher on campus.

Brother Babcock's class is like no other I've ever been in. Each class has a Parliamentary feel to it. For example: for the first half of the semester we were studying Neoclassical authors and he would bring in a plastic gavel to bring order to class each day. Now that we're studying the Romantic authors he has a fake flower he brings in to tap against the podium. Since that doesn't ever get our attention he does other weird things. One day he was a mime.

If anyone has a question he "recognizes" them by saying "Yes, uh McMoviePhone then, uh Diane, then uh Ali." He knows everyone's names. He doesn't need the "uh" he just does it. It's weird. We have online discussions that are done with pseudonyms (only McMoviePhone knows what mine is, so I'm not going to tell you). And we have weird pseudonyms like "Moosejaw" or "C3PO." Each person is supposed to respond to the reading in some way, preferably with a question, and then give a suggestion as to what we should do in class to further our understanding of the text. This is where the comedians get creative. And the best part is: Brother Babcock listens to and then puts into practice the suggestions.

On Thursday (11/13) someone suggested we play "Murderer" for our discussion. (We're reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein right now - for those of you who are interested). So "Murderer" goes like this: we put our chairs in a very large circle around the room and once we had done this, Brother Babcock had us turn our chairs around so that we were all facing the wall and couldn't see one another. Brother Babcock then chose a student at random and explained that whomever he chose to be "it" stood in the center of the circle and read one of the questions from the discussion board to the class so that we could discuss it. When the person who was "it" felt the conversation was lagging or wanted a new topic they would take the dollar store blindfold he purchased and "strangle" the next person they chose to be "it." It was very effective (and terrifying because I'm very vocal against the loyal opposition and one of the loyal opposition was "it." eek).

When we first started the Romantic authors we decided to run class a little differently - so we made class basically a free for all that started up with McMoviePhone standing in his chair yelling out lines from Wordsworth in a very "O Captain, My Captain" sort of way. Which I joined in on. :o) Then it all ended with Doug in the teacher's chair spinning and sliding from one end of the class room to the other while singing some random song. All the while there were girls doing an interpretive dance. We've done debates, moral meters, acting out plays, youtube videos: you name it - we've done it.

Perhaps the best thing about Brother Babcock is the accents. O! the accents! He served his mission in England and can do New York, English, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, Swedish...basically ANY accent you can think of he does PERFECTLY. And frequently. When we were reading Robert Burns' "To a Louse" and "To a Mouse" and "Tam O'Shanter: a Tale" (one of the best pieces of poetry EVER) he read each piece to us with perfect Scottish accents that made them all the better. He randomly changes accents and tells the BEST stories ever.

If there's something we don't like about the class we take a vote on it. Basically we're in charge, which is great because that way we're learning and leading the discussion and putting the [stupid] Learning Model into practice like President Clark has asked.

Honestly I've barely touched the surface here. I might have to do a special post after every class period or once a week completely dedicated to Brother Babcock's class because this man is now one of my heroes. I've never laughed so much in my life.

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Possibly being able to leave for Thanksgiving break early.
2. Being done with my French presentation (one of them...).
3. Nathanael in uniform.
4. McMoviePhone teaching me things I didn't know about myself.
5. Denny on Grey's Anatomy.

4 comments:

Mason Manor said...

FYI he's also a fiesty "And It Came To Pass" player. He was one of the teachers on my Brit. Lit. Tour! I'm glad you are enjoying his class so much. As I remember, I enjoyed him as well (though I only audited his class).

KP said...

oh how i miss you...
seriously. wow. i really do.
that class sounds like a blast!
im sorry i really did just completely forget to send u the paper. but maybe i shouldnt have anyway cuz i might be embarresed by letting you read it. i kinda just bs'd it.
hahha. but your help really did benefit me for the better. thank you :)

Unknown said...

so I am very slow and just discovered you have a blog! yah! and I LOVE your glasses. I work for an eye doctor now so I notice people glasses more. Good job you look great!!

Anonymous said...

I had him for a class during his first year teaching at BYU-I. One of my favorite professors.