21 November 2008

The Blind Leading the Blind

Well, another week has passed and that means 2 more of Brother Babcock's British Literature class sessions! This week was interesting...as usual and as evidenced by the photograph. (Yes, that is a copy of Frankenstein in his hand). A couple funny things I'd like to share. First is the story behind the photograph. This was Tuesday's class and Brother Babcock added a new twist to the blindfolds he bought for the last class we'd had. He decided to pass around about 6 blindfolds throughout the class and after he'd redistributed the Discussion Board e-responses he nominated someone to read the e-response. The twist is this: only those who were blindfolded were allowed to comment/respond to the e-response. Brother Babcock ended up with a blindfold and started discussing Shelley's Frankenstein with a copy in his hand while he was blindfolded. I don't really know what he was trying to accomplish... My friend Alli snapped this shot with her camera phone after I realized I'd forgotten mine. It was posted on the class Discussion Board and Brother Babcock was a little confused.

On Thursday we were still discussing Frankenstein and the discussion centered on the Monster's ability to learn things like speech, right and wrong, etc. Brother Babcock made a connection to Sunday School when parents talk about how their kids learn to not touch a stove because it's hot after they've touched it once. He said something to the effect of: "I always want to say, 'THAT'S NOT TRUE! My kids are scalded because they touch the stove once, walk away screaming and then go back 5 minutes later and do it again!" To which I promptly replied, "Maybe you should watch your kids more, man." The rest of the class was dedicated to whether Dr. Frankenstein was the real "monster" or his creation was the "monster" - and conversely, whether this very vocal class was the "monster" or whether Brother Babcock was the "monster" for creating it. And then setting us loose on the rest of the Campus.

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Being out of the Burg for 9 whole days.
2. Seeing the majority of my family.
3. The way McMoviePhone treats me.
4. Singing at the top of my lungs in the car for 3 1/2 hours.
5. Benjamin.
6. The fact that my first class was cancelled today (not that Brother Hansen was sick, but that he cancelled class) and that I ditched French so I could leave town early.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Hope you have a good thanksgiving break lauren!! we need to dinner or something once we're back in rexburg..and before the semester ends!