27 October 2008

Taco Bell Turns Me On?

I should be writing a 4-6 page psychoanalytical analysis of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" but after 4 1/2 hours of diligent work, I decided to take a break to share something I was pondering today. This is going to be a really random post, but like I said...4 1/2 hours of working with Freud and Nathaniel Hawthorne, it's amazing I'm not curled in the fetal position, rocking back and forth on my bed.

I think college must be every nutritionist's nightmare. You hear all the time that you should be eating balanced meals. What's a balanced meal? And for that matter, what's a meal? You mean salt and vinegar chips and a piece of string cheese with a Capri Sun isn't a meal?

I'm sure some of you (the two people who read this thing) must be wondering what on earth brought this on. The answer will probably surprise you. Unless you know me really well. ;o)

I went to Taco Bell for dinner because I seriously didn't have the mental ability to physically cook something and I went through the drive through to expedite the excursion. (I love a good assonance hahaha!). A girl took my order so when I pulled up to the window I expected a girl. Nope, it was a boy. (I'm assuming he was new because I'd never seen him before and I go to Taco Bell a lot.)

Chivalry is lost these days. I've been on multiple dates that I've had to either drive myself to or walk to. I've had to pay for a few of my dates. I was left with one of the other couples that were making out on a group date while my date disappeared for 20 minutes. Most of my dates have a fear of conversation and the only boys that never have a problem talking to me are married boys *cough* McMoviePhone *cough*.

So this kid at Taco Bell blew my mind today and I drove away smiling quite the smile. I pulled up to the window and he asked how I was, introduced himself and asked for my name. He gave me my total and then said, "I will have your change directly, Lauren." That's an EXACT quote. He didn't use a contraction like "I'll" and he used the word "directly." And it wasn't like it usually is when you get people that say things like, "Hold up a sec and I'll get your stuff, k?" Seriously. Amazing. After he gave me my food he said, "It was nice to meet you, Lauren. Enjoy your meal." Not the ususal, "Thanks, bye." He said all of this with perfect articulation and enunciation.

Honestly, there is no better way to win my attention or get in my good graces than to use proper English with beautiful articulation and enunciation. I'm guilty of it myself, I've used a lot of contractions already, but that just proves my point. Taco Bell Boy is special.

I hope you all learned something. (Whether that something is to be more aware of your use of our beautiful language or that I have the ODDEST sense of what attracts me to someone, at least you learned.)

8 comments:

jereme said...

That's very interesting. Oddly enough I had a similar experience at Wendy's today. I'll have to tell you about it later. Oh, and the Muppet production of "Hamlet"...Genius.

Shauna said...

Freak. pursue with Taco Bell Boy.
That is all.

Eric Chantry said...

wow, I can honestly say I hardly hear ANYONE speak like that! and believe me, if a guy starts using correct grammar speaking to me... I'd be turned on too! ;-)


.....maybe I don't mean that.....

Mason Manor said...

so this one time...i went through a taco bell drive-thru and the guy was kind of like that AND all of the sauce packets he gave me had flirty sayings on them...only it just annoyed me and from then on i went to the taco bell that was farther away just to avoid being annoyed again. the end.

Tara said...

Impressive! Was he good looking?
Oh, this is Tara (McBride/Andrus) by the way. I'm glad you have a blog! Now I can keep up on all that is Lauren!

nison (nic + allison) said...

I'm going to have to agree with Shauna on this one - pursue! Done and done.

Anonymous said...

I'M NOT PURSUING THE TACO BELL BOY! hahaha. Always with the Taco Bell Boys. Alli, remember the other one that knew our names?

KP said...

:)
Lauren...this is just so funny to me. Why not pursue with the taco bell boy, huh??!?!?!
Anywya...thank you for your comment on my blog...and I am really relieved you were going to tell me to stick with it. it re-confirms my decision. i love you!