18 July 2011

Skipping Through the Rest

Before I start giving you all the last day's activities, I did promise an update on the cemetery - it is St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Cemetery in Leytonstone. MILLIONS of graves (at least, that's what it looks like...). See?


Day Seven
Our last full day in London. How depressing.

Once we got into central London, we headed to the British Museum and skipped around. We didn't have a ton of time in the city and I wanted to see the museums - as much of them as possible within the one day we had. We stopped at the Rosetta Stone and the Egyptian History sections, then headed over to the Greek and Roman bits.


And then we found the clocks. My life will never be the same.


Once I was able to be pried away from the clocks, we headed over to the National Gallery and worshiped the likes of Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and Durer
. I got to see Madonna of the Rocks by Michelangelo and good ole Arnolfini.

I can't get over the sensation of being within touching distance of multitudes of pieces of art that you dedicated 5 years of your life studying (I was a humanities minor with a penchant for artwork in particular).
I could smell the paint, see the brushstrokes - admire the ludicrous amount of paint that Van Gogh insisted on having on his brush at all times.


When I die, I want God's vocabulary.

















Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Apparently, the National Gallery doesn't let you take pictures inside anymore. Woops.
2. One week of no cell phones.
3. Reading an entire book on the flight home. And watching a few movies.
4. I don't understand how I get homesick for London, but I do.

No comments: