16 August 2010

Roots

My grandfather did quite a lot of research before he died about our ancestry. My uncle took over after and found several famous names we're related to; however, that isn't the purpose of this post.


We have a lot of European blood in us, including Irish blood. Our family name, Conley, is the Americanization of the Irish "Connelly." Connelly is even a family name of legend in Ireland.
I love my Irish heritage for some strange reason. I've always been a big fan of anything out of Boston (RED SOX, BABY!), I've always had a fondness for St. Patty's Day, and my favorite color, for as long as I can remember has always been green. I love fairies and took two Celtic legend classes in college. A good Irish brogue makes me weak in the knees. I love Irish rock bands; nobody rocks harder. I adore James Joyce and William Butler Yeats. One of my favorite satirists is Jonathan Swift because Irish babies just sound delicious as a main course. And I hear their beer is the best in the world.


I had the opportunity to go to Ireland in 2005 with the British Literary Tour and felt at home stepping off the ferry. I fell in love with every part of Ireland I touched, from Dublin to Knocknarea to Innisfree. I stayed in world-class hotels, small and cozy bed and breakfasts, and dingy hostels. I toured castles and rode a bike around a small island.

I love Ireland and hope to go back one day.

And of course, I love "Waking Ned Devine."

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. "American Slang" by The Gaslight Anthem.
2. The Canny Brothers.
3. Anna McPartlin's novels.
4. Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins comes out in 8 days!!! I CAN'T WAIT!
5. How can someone piss you off so much but at the same time make you laugh more than anyone you know?

1 comment:

Jenni said...

*sniff* I miss Ireland...!