15 July 2011

Chaucer, Fudge, and Romans, Oh My!

Day Four
When I booked this trip, I had lots of grandios ideas about traveling to other cities around London to see some of my favorite sites. Alas, we didn't make it to all of them, but we did make it to CANTERBURY!

Francis, Linda, my Mum, and I drove passed Hever Castle (heave a brick at Hever Castle!), out to Canterbury to see the Canterbury Cathedral. There are no words. I love St. Paul's (still my favorite), but there is something almost other-worldly about Canterbury. This place is MASSIVE and was originally built in 1070 (it has had some work done - the most recent major work was in 1834). The stained glass, stone carving, and intricate sculptures are amazing. I think my favorite part, though, are the graves. Yes, I'm weird. Make peace with it - I have.

Francis and Linda had been to the cathedral a few weeks before, so they shopped while we toured the cathedral. I always love to see Edward, the Black Prince's tomb!















The thing about Canterbury is, there's this fudge shop. I have been dreaming about this fudge shop since 2005. I said I wanted to find it as a joke while we were on the way up. I honestly didn't think it would be there. IT WAS!! So, I bought some fudge. :)

Turns out that there is a Roman village underneath the city of Canterbury. (I do not remember this being here before, but it must have been!) There's this strange hole-in-the-wall of a museum with some interesting artifacts (most of which are NOT from the area, oddly enough) and even the remnants of an old house.

Pretty neat!

Things that induce laughter/smiles/happy feelings in me today:
1. Free fudge.
2. The fudge shop ships around the world!
3. I got to Skype with my Mum's other cousin, Chaz, whom I've never met. He seemed very kind - I wish I could get to know him more!
4. The delivery boy at the restaurant where we had lunch set off the fire alarm. It was LOUD.

1 comment:

Life with the Conleys said...

I was starting to think there would be not blog posts on your trip and then, Wham! 4 of them. I love the pictures, makes me really want to go. Also, I now want some fish and chips.